Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Financial Mishaps

OH OH OH OH! So, now I know why I'm supposed to use the little worksheet to balance my checkbook. I've been very conscientious for the past six months. Trying to be responsible for a change and all that. Every few days I check my online statement to make sure I haven't forgotten to write down any ATM charges. I go through my checkbook every other week to see what checks are still out in la la land. But I hadn't gone through with the little book.

So now I have my fabulous ledger, and I'm basically transcribing all of my accounts into it. First, I found a $20 addition error in the bank's favor. Darn it.

Now I have a bigger snafu, that's taken me three hours to figure out what I did exactly. It seems that I took out a $100 cash back that I didn't write down about two months ago. Then for the crowning achievement, I saw some "shopping" money that I'd actually paid cash for....at the time I'm sure it made sense to put in that missing hundred dollars as shopping. Well, I found it when I was perusing my checkbook a month later, and said to myself, "I paid cash for that! Free money" So I credit myself that money. So, for those that followed that and realised the ramifications...I'm now officially $200 in the hole once everything goes through. Crap. At least, for a change, I am aware of the problem before the overdraft kicks in, and 2, (also for a change) I have money in savings to cover the money I've now spent. Twice. Drat.

No comments: