Sunday, June 16, 2002

Just got off work. I say that a lot don't I? Had another wretched table (Aaron, am I misusing wretched too? I've never checked to see if the majority of my big words are in context since no one calls me on it ;-) They asked for a wine list. I left for a couple of minutes since most people don't like having a waiter hovering. I came back a bit later, asked them if they'd chosen a wine, and the man said, Yes a long time ago. It went downhill from there. They mysteriously wanted both bottles opened at once. Then as I poured it, no one would tell me if they wanted any, but would get irate if I poured them wine that they didn't want. Then another lady brought in a bottle of wine and didn't want to pay the corkcage fee, and she wanted me to chill it for her, and she wanted an ice bucket for the table. Needless to say, they also didn't tip. Lovely people. Not everyone is that horrible (I almost wrote aweful, but I caught myself....really trying here....). I had a nice family who's little girl is taking voice. She's probably 13 or 14 and her last two pieces were: "O Mio Babbino Caro" (not too bad--I can sing it fairly easily) and "Un Bel Di" (yikes -- for those of you that know nothing about opera, Marjorie Owens could probably sing it, but I never would -- and if any random people are viewing this who don't know Marjorie -- check out the Houston Grand Opera website). Anyway...I smiled and told her that was "ambitious," which amazingly enough is exactly what VC said when I sang "Rejoice Greatly o Daughter of Zion" for my Baylor audition......hmmmmm....

No comments: