Thursday, March 04, 2004

Ah, what a wretched couple of days. After being quite diestressed about my job, things came to a head the night before last. A bellman stopped by with a note from the housing director informing Drea and I that this was our final notice before eviction. I am $70-some-odd behind in rent. BUT, we were told that they would roll it over or defer it until we were working again (like they do with everyone who lives on the ranch during slow season). I had been in to talk to him twice in the last week. Both times we came to the agreement that he would take my entire next paycheck, and if that wasn't enough to cover it, I would write him a check once I got paid by my other job.

Then the letter appeared.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep well the night before last. I was so angry I had to drive to the beach in Carpenteria to cool down for a while. I was sure we were being "let go" without being formally fired.

So, I went into my boss yesterday and showed him the letter and my abysmal schedule and asked him to explain it. He was flabbergasted. He assured me that I will be working more when hours pick up in two weeks (spring breaks) and that I never should have had my housing threatened. He took a copy of the letter to the General Manager who said the same thing. So it looks like I will be staying here for a few more months at least. Unless they change their mind. I'm going to be auditioning as much as is humanly possible to try and get a job. At least this buys me some time to get a great gig, instead of needing to take the first one that comes along.

For my sister, this was the redwood log that broke the camel's back. She went into the office after I got out and quit. She'll be moving into an apartment as soon as she can find one. I decided that I'm not committed to staying here long enough to justify all the deposits and start-up fees. So I'm staying put, she's moving out. Funny how life makes right hand turns sometimes.

On the plus side, I will have the room to myself!

No comments: